Friday, December 16, 2011

VAN - Geeky View On Life

So back when I was working full-time, pre-kid days I headed up a project moving our company into the EDI world.  Now EDI stands for Electronic Data Interchange and it's basically exchanging data electronically from one company to another using standards and procedures, at the time it was the cutting edge of moving data without human interaction.  In other words, one company's computer retrieves the data, formats it, transfers it to a VAN (we'll discuss that in a moment), receives back a response, processes the response, and stores it, all automatically. I attended classes to learn how to format this data, use the software, know the standards, etc.

A VAN was a Value-Added Network and that was a service that stored the files of data during the interchange.  The Value-Added part was because they also verified the formatting of the data to make sure it made the standards agreed upon between the companies.  It also allowed a company to up/download the data at one place instead of having to transfer didrectly between each individual company that it does business.

So, to my more techy readers I'm showing my age, since this is old school nowadays and to the others, you're starting to wonder "what does this have to do with anything?".  I'm glad you asked :)

So this morning, I was thinking about friendship, life, and "Value" and I realized that I have a VAN all of my very own, and I suspect you do as well.  The only difference is, we don't have to pay for this service! BONUS!  The friends who supports us, encourages us, motivates us, gives us a smile by a compliment or maybe a Facebook post, who takes the time to drop us a Christmas card or says a prayer for us, this is our VAN. This is the network what adds value to our lives. Don't forget the spouse, children, parents, siblings, co-workers, and neighbors, they also add value to our lives! 

We also have the risk of VDN (Yes, I just made that up) - Value-Deduction Network - it's when we have friends or people in our lives who devalue or shots us down rather than building us up.  I don't know about you, but I would rather surround myself with people who are going to add value to my life than just one who is going to reduce it.  I wonder if I'm adding value to all my relationships. Sometimes we have to decide who we allow in our network or rather who we allow to stay in our network, because we need to surround yourselves with the ones who add value. Sometimes we also should check ourselves to make sure we are building up and doing the things for others that add value to our friends. This is especially important I think for parents, because the words we say to our kids impacts their image and their future.  Hmmm, something to think about...

I'm blessed to have a VAN and thanks for being part of that network. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment