Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Task Lists

Someone told me at the funeral Saturday that I should write more blog entries.  I figured they need a break in their day to laugh at my goofy logic, but I really don't know that I have a lot worthwhile to say...but here goes...Lisa-Logic aka whatever pops into my head.

So task lists, to do list, HoneyDew List...whatever you want to call them, do you keep one?  I'm a FIRM believer in task lists, in fact, I find that I'm Completely and Totally lost if I don't have a list.  Right now, I'm frustrated because the task list software I found and was going to use only allows for one list.  I prefer to sort my task lists electronically by "Roles", such as "household", "school/church", "GFH", "someday".  The software I'm currently using (free app, because I'm cheap!) allows me to do tags so I can still sort them, but everything is still on one list.  Not sure I'm crazy about that, but I do like that I can have the app on my tablet, my phone and the website on my laptop and sync the entire list in all 3 places.  I'm all about syncing and being able to work with whatever tool aka laptop, phone or tablet I have handy at the time moment.

Anyway, so if you have a task list, how do you maintain it?  I'm looking for actual feedback here folks, in case you're wondering.  I know, I know, some of my blogs are just me talking and feedback is optional, but this is one where I'm really looking for ideas.  So here's my situation...I have a task list I'm working on completing...because I'm __wow, so many words come to mind that all fits depending on the day__ an active person with lots of irons in the fire...yeah, we'll go with that because it sounds better than a busy body who overcommits herself on a regular basic LOL...anyway, so I'm plugging away working on something, and POP! suddenly I think of something else I need to do.  (You mean you don't hear that Pop! sound?  Oh maybe it's just the alarm going off on the dryer then :P)  The task is simple, would only take maybe a second or two to do...such as recording that receipt you just found on the kitchen counter.  So do you go and do it immediately or do you ask it to your task list?  Serious question!  Which do you do?

Now, here's why I ask...simple task...would only take a second to do it.  But the problem is the "other" things that will go with it: Using the receipt, I pick it up from the counter, need to record it on the computer...let's say the laptop is already booted up, turned on and ready to go, because that saves a step or two....  I sit down at my laptop, since I work on facebook, it's most likely already open with the notifications bright red.  Say I'm even good and immediately open the receipt file to record it.  I didn't immediately check facebook first...say I'm good (stop laughing, I can be good!)..so I record the receipt.  It immediately adds the info, and updates the little automatic graph-thingy (technical term for you!) of our spending, and in this case analyzes our grocery spending.  So then I'm thinking about grocery and spending and the budget for next month, and that normally gets me thinking of other bills that are due.  Next thing I know I'm looking at our budget and end up log into the bank acct and paying a bill online because I see that it's coming up on it's due date, which was on the task list, just not as high up because it didn't HAVE to be done today.  All because my husband left a receipt laying on the counter where he brought milk last night.   So, do I add that simple task to the task list or do I just do the task immediately, because it's such a simple task? And if I do it immediately, how do I keep myself focused and not go off on a thousand other tasks, because of that one simple "only take a second" task?

Oh and by the way, because I went ahead and did that simple "just take a second" task, I started thinking about this and ended up writing this blog, and so now an hour later, I guess I'll go back to what I was doing before I found the receipt on the kitchen counter.

3 comments:

  1. i would have just laid the receipt on the laptop so that when I was on it next I could have added it in.....just a thought

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use workflowy.com. It is technically one list, but you can have sublists and clicking on the heading leaves just that sublist visible. It supports tags and the search function works well. You can also share the list or sublists with other people if you have multiple people working on a project. It might not be exactly what you're looking for, but it's also free and very easy to use.

    If you haven't read it, I highly recommend David Allen's book, "Getting Things Done". He suggests that you should go ahead and do a task if it will take less than 2 minutes because it isn't worth the time it would take to put it on a list and organize it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brent, thank you for your comment and for the suggestion of the book and workflowy.com I checked it out, and it seems great for taking notes or making a list, but since I use my task list to set "start date" and such, it doesn't seem to do exactly what I want. For example, I have a task I need to do in Sept. I don't need to see it today, but I need to make sure I don't forget it, as it's important. I could make a task on the calendar, but instead I add it as a task on my task list with a start date of Sept 1st.

    I'm going to check out that book, thanks!

    ReplyDelete