Thursday, October 16, 2014

Weight, Pre-diabetes, Exercise, and Encouragement

When it comes to our health, little changes can have huge impact!  In Nov '13, I was told my blood sugar was "within pre-diabetes" range.  After losing my dad way too young due to diabetes, this didn't come as a surprise. I knew I was high risk, but it was still upsetting to get that news. In Apr '14, I went back, I had made a couple attempts at lowering it, but wasn't doing too great. I had lost 2 lbs, but face it, I can lose 2 lbs by drinking extra water, that's nothing!  To be honest, I wasn't ready to commit to the change, and I was in denial that it was really that bad. I argued that the tests had to be off somehow, anything but the fact that I was slowly killing myself by not making changes.

The doctor wanted to put me on medicine that day, but I am stubborn and I asked for 6 months. I walked out of that office visit frustrated because the doctor made it sound like I couldn't do this without medicine.  Maybe that was her first mistake, because if you know me, the fastest way to see me do something is to tell me I can't do it.  I had a decision to make that day...I could continue and end up on medicine the rest of my life or I could decide to change.  I wish I could say I made the decision that day, but honestly I still struggled with it...until about May, then I got serious in June.

Today, was my follow up appointment after that 6 months.  I don't mean to brag, but my weight is down, my blood sugar levels are down, and overall, I just feel better.  The doctor said "I have only seen one other patient in all my years of practice lower their numbers this much in just 6 months".  I still have my sweet tea, I still have a soda every once in a while. I still have a sweet treat, and sugary creamer in my coffee. I haven't denied myself any food, but I'm conscious of everything that goes into my mouth.  I also work out, 6 days a week.  Even when I don't feel like it, even when I don't want to do it.  I work out. I do it.

I have some awesome friends who have encouraged me along the way. I won't name them, because they don't want to be named. But know, I couldn't have done it without you!  To my personal trainer, who shall be nameless, THANK YOU for pushing me and holding me accountable even when you knew I might dislike you at times for it. I promise I will eventually read all the handouts you have given me to read, but I seriously doubt I will ever enjoy a plank.

If you're struggling with weight, working out, diabetes, or anything, keep putting one foot in front of the other.  It seems like an almost stupid concept, but trust me...when I didn't want to run, or even walk, when I was questioning why I'm doing this again, I kept telling myself "put one foot in front of the other".  Eventually, I "one footed" myself back home...having completed my workout.

If you see someone overweight out trying to run or even walking in front of your house, smile at them, shout out "good job" or "keep going".  If it's me, I can promise you, I will turn 90 shades of red, but deep down it will put an extra push in my step.

If you're the support person of someone who is struggling, I can give you 2 big pointers...

1) You can say the same words and one day they will be Nagging and another Encouraging.  It's not you, it's how we hear them.  Even if we get mad, continue to encourage and "Should you be eating that?" is never encouraging, just saying ;)

2) The person has to make the decision to change, no matter how much you encourage, nag, offer, or complain, until the person is ready to make the change for her/himself, it won't happen.  Be patience and love them.

I have two sayings that I have found online that I keep places where I see them often "It hurts now but one day it will be your warm-up" I'm holding to that promise!  The second is "I might not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday."  Yay Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment